Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Deep Impact

Listen, I know that everyone is going to be writing about the election.  So, I'll let more qualified people and more articulate writers to write about the impact of such things.  Yet, I've been thinking about things lately.  I've been thinking about, and God I'm a little tired of the word, change.  But, I think that more of what I'm thinking of is the ability to impact people.  In a way that is change and yet on other levels its different. 

I've been wondering how it is that we, or more specifically I, can and/or do impact people.  I used to think that I had to do something extraordinary in order to make  a difference.  I had to go get a PhD or get this certification or publish something or write the next great American sermons (Are there such things?) and that I had to impact people in some broad and profound way.  But, the more I've been thinking about it and the more I've been meditating on it, the more I realize that impacting myself may be the best and only thing that I can do.  Maybe the only life that I can profoundly change for the better is my own...

And for me, this day, it means being okay in the moment.  I know, I know, it sounds like new age b.s....  But for me, it becomes something profoundly real if I decide not to prepare myself for some goal tomorrow or some level of completion that I have to reach and realize that today, at this moment, I'm already equipped to make a difference in my own life.  And I can accept that.  I've already found what I am good at (somewhat) and what fulfills me (mostly).  So, why am I looking to do other greater (if not greater, more complex) things that may or may not prepare me to affect people I may or may not come in contact with?  Just silly... Baby Crying Gotta Go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember when you first saw Obama with his incredibly cartoonishly skinny head and body and huge, huge Dumbo ears, saw his Change sign, like a homeless beggar begging for pennies and nickels, his wife looking like a not-very-talented drag queen, heard him calling everyone "folks," and all the silly young Dems all a-twitter about him, and said "I've just seen the next Jimmy Carter." (Not at all a good thing.) "I don't know if the country can withstand another one." I do.